This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Friday, October 22, 2010

Head Shaving Party!

Here we go....

Tonight I decided to go ahead and shave my head.  This was a hard decision for me.  I still have a lot of hair.  In fact, Dr. Bott couldn't believe I still had so much hair.  Same with the ladies at chemo.  The good thing is that my hair is already so short.   But, it is falling out like crazy.  It is shedding all over my pillow and comes out with great ease just running my hands through it.  I have to blow dry it over the bath tub to catch the falling hair but it still gets everywhere.   Now my scalp is quite tender as well.  It feels like someone is pulling my hair with a sunburned scalp.  Not very pleasant.  So, I figured it was about time. I knew some family wanted to be there for the whole freak show hair shaving thing so I decided to make a little party out of it.  I ordered some breast cancer pink ribbon donuts specially made and dipped in pink frosting and had pink and chocolate milk.  I was committed.  However, as people began to show they too couldn't believe how much hair I still had.  I started second guessing myself thinking maybe I should just go as long as I can and keep my hair.  But I already got the donuts, people were coming, plans were made.  What do I do now?  I recognize now a little bit of panic to the upcoming change going on.  I had to remind myself how much hair was coming out and what a mess it was making everywhere.  I was ready to do this.  I let anyone who wanted to come and tug out my hair.  It is quite fascinating how easy it pulls out.  A little freaky buy funny too.   Bit of a sensitive head but not too bad.  Mostly just kids who took me up on that.  Brendon got a good 'ol yank.  I felt that.   And then, with family, friends, and neighbors, and lots of wide-eyed kids gathered round, Brendon began the shave.  We decided to have a little fun so he shaved the sides first leaving me with a sweet mohawk for a picture or two.   Then it all came off.  Just a buzz.  Little by little.  Buffy, my sister-in-law and my personal greatest hairdresser, helped to clean in up a bit and shave the pink ribbon symbol in my hair.  I was feeling pretty good about everything, Ok....slightly freaked, but I was holding it together well until I looked up and saw my dad's face as he began to tear up.  And then, I lost it too.  The water works began to fall.  I wasn't really sad as much as  maybe just reacting to the whole change of everything.  The love and support of this whole group of people was overwhelming to me.  I was a bit embarrassed as they all stood in a semi circle around me with their anxious expressions.  But, when it was all over and done with, the compliments flew.  So much support and love and wonderful expressions given.  I decided that is why we include people in our moments of trial and difficulties.  I was filled with love and confidence from all.  Although, I did wonder many times what was REALLY going through their heads (like...."what has she done?" or "Oh, the horror of it all!").  I felt like a celebrity with all the flashing lights from their cameras to capture the crazy moments.  All in all, I can't believe I did it, it feels different, but good and I am OK with this change.  Just another part of this whole cancer process.  I am confident that is because of such amazing support and love from everyone.  Thank you for taking your Friday night plans to spend it with us.  Finished the night off by going to a movie with Kenn and Allison and the kids.  What a great night for me.  So good to laugh and feel happy!
pulling out my hair--oooo, so fun!
Baldy love!
yummy donut treats
my best look yet
who do I look take more like now?  love u mom & dad!


love my Bluth sissy's!

Love my Dayton sissy's!
mugshot skin head club members

13 comments:

  1. you look lovely with no hair my dear. :) (Seriously, you have a good head shape for it.) love, k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look so Sinead O'Conner...tough chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I think you rock the look! Shawn also said he thinks you look good and your head is a nice shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly amazing and you look beautiful. I am so glad your parents are home and able to be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elder Pop Norton & Hna Nan Norton in Mexico are inspired with your strength and faith. I like the look. Our prayers and love are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true beauty is someone who shaves her head and still looks absolutely stunning. Wow. beautiful girl!

    Just heard about your diagnosis and caught up mostly on your situation on your blog. My good friend had stage 2 breast cancer 2 years ago and she fought it like a soldier like you and she is doing great...healthy happy, cancer free and with a full head of hair again. You are gonna do awesome. I can can tell just by reading your positive energy and thoughts. Sending you my best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look amazing! truly beautiful! Just think no bad hair days!:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are beautiful with or without hair. You are such a beautiful person on the inside it spills over to your outsides as well. You sure are a wonderful example to others.
    Love,
    Venise Eddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great as usual! And still the beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously DeLayne, who looks good with a buzz? But, you look FABULOUS!! It makes your face look so beautiful! I am amazed at your courage, strength, and beauty! You Go Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fabulous and beautiful as always. Stay strong. You awesome attitude will get you through this. Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. DeLayne -
    I just found your blog. Your sister-in-law told me about it - her blog is one that I read often. When I commented on her blog this last time, she asked about my blogs. I told her that I have a blog from my cancer journey (foobbabe.blogspot.com), and then she wrote back and told me about yours. Imagine my surprise, when I saw pictures of you! I met you at the breast cancer kick-off last week!!!! When I read Dr. Bott's name in your post, I realized you probably lived around here (Dr. Bott is my oncologist). I'm one of the board members of Sister Survivors. I'm the dorky one that spoke last during the program and handed out door prizes. Anyway, I hope things are going well. If there is anything at all that we can do for you, please don't hesitate to call. My number is 801-360-4666. I'm not sure if you've checked out our blog: sistersurvivors.blogspot.com. I hope you'll feel well enough to come to our support meetings. They are so great - a good chance to talk to other survivors. We are having one on the 11th of November - next Thursday. The address is on our blog. Would you like to be added to our email list? If so, just email me at sistersurvivors@gmail.com, and I'll add you so you will get news from our group.

    It was nice meeting you (and your parents, if I remember right). Take Care.

    -Kara Herron
    Director of Marketing
    Sister Survivors

    ReplyDelete