This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chemo brain

I have turned dumb....pretty dumb.
Somebody explained it to me.  It's called "chemo brain."  Happy to know it's not just me.  I knew there would be nausea, sickness, pain, etc. but I did not know I'd get dumb.  Chemo brain is a general foggy, fuzzy brain that can't seem to think right.  I do not retain information like before.  Difficulty with organization.  I often cannot think of a word I need to say so something random comes out instead.  I forget a lot.  I never get my children's names straight (well honestly, that was an issue before--I have 6 of them for heavens sake and there's a bunch of "B" ones).  I have trouble remembering past experiences.  I've had my issues before for I know I'm not the brightest bunch in the group (don't get me started on that Geography stuff) but this is really different and it is strange.  We just laugh about it.  Oh well, at least I've still got my health....Oh yeah, well at least I still have my good looks....Okay... that may be debatable--in fact I just had to ask my husband how to spell debatable.  Yeah, I can't spell anymore either.  Chemo brain at work.  Oh well, I know I got something...I just can't make my brain think of what it is right now.:)

4 comments:

  1. At least you still have your humor. And your great attitude:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto! you are awesome! I am reading this thinking I have 'chemo brain' and it's from Nyquil AND being a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too realized that I also have "chemo brain" minus the chemo excuse. I just have "mom brain" and it seems to do many of the same things. Anyway, you are certainly NOT dumb! After listening to your awesome lesson on Sunday and just talking to you- you are VERY far from even coming close to the word dumb. A better word to describe what you are- AMAZING! You are truly incredible! Thanks for being such a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweet lady! I dropped off that pin for you and realized that today (Sunday) might be the worst part of the recovery from Chemo #3. Just wanted to let you know that I love ya, and that you're half way there girlie!!! Chemo brain is a real thing. I feel ya! :) I can tell you that you are gonna be soooo happy when you are finished with #6 but it will take a while to get to square one but I want you to really really look forward to it. It was worth every bit of it to me. Like you said, you learn a lot. I would have it no other way and I am grateful for all I learned in "Cancer College". LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete