This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cancer Kindness

I often marvel at the realization that it has really only been about 2 months since the start of this crazy cancer adventure.  That is not very long to digest and wrap my brain around all that I have experienced and learned.  How life can come to a hault so quickly.  And yet I have gone through such an ordeal beyond what I could have ever imagined.  There is something I have noticed.  I feel me coming back to life slowly as I recover from my initial surgery.  I've been out and about more.  The love and concern from my dear  neighbors, friends, family who are women is always there and I can understand their support.  What has surprised me is the love and concern from the husbands of neighbors, friends, and family AND from total strangers.  When I walk down the hall at church or through my neighborhood, I am stopped by wonderful well wishers who do not pass quickly.  They stop and really talk to me with genuine concern in their eyes.  Heartfelt questions are asked on how I am holding up.  People hug me, hold my hand, pat my shoulder and listen.  Strangers feel an instant connection to me and want to be extra helpful in whatever I need.  One experience is especially memorable for me that happened this week. I was at a kiosk in the middle of the mall trying on a new hat.  I had taken my hat off to try the new one on.  My hair is just about gone and I look baldy.  A stranger quickly walked by me and comment, "You look really cute in that hat and you look really good without the hat too."  I was taken aback but managed to throw out a thank you as she disappeared.  So that's what it feels like....to receive a compliment out of the blue by a complete stranger and know they really mean it.  I like to do that to others because I always think that I would want to know if someone thought something nice about me.  Now I was on the receiving end and IT FEELS GREAT!  She may not know but she made my day, helping me feel a bit more confident.  Cancer really does bring out great kindness and compassion in others.   Compliment someone today for ANY reason at all.  It is a great feeling and you never know the good you can do!

4 comments:

  1. good advice Delayne, thanks! You never cease to amaze me. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug!

    Joce

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeLayne, if anyone deserves it it's you! I can't wait to see you and work with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Delayne! It's Heather (Jefferies) Crawford. I just found your blog! I am so sorry about your illness! I'll keep you in my prayers! You're such a fighter! I have always looked up to you! Wish I lived closer to help! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Delayne! It's Anne W. Jackson. I found your blog through Jocelyn's blog. I too am sorry to hear about all you have been going through! Brandon and I will be praying for you and your family. You are such a strong woman and I just know you can beat this! Your blog in such an inspiration, YOU are such an inspiration!
    Prayers and hugs from the Jackson Family!

    ReplyDelete