This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Thursday, September 16, 2010

PET scan results and oncologist news

This has been a brain overload of information day.  Lots to digest and contemplate.  The best news we have heard for a while is that the PET scan was clean.  No cancer detected elsewhere in my body.  That is a huge relief for that is one more battle we don't have to fight.  We celebrated and hugged and "whoo-hoo'd" for we'll take any little goodness comin' our way.  Still, having been blindsided before as a result of my naivete and "Oh, it's no big deal" kind of attitude, I have learned that I need to up the reality check and get all the facts first.  That's a good idea.
We met with our wonderful oncologist, Dr. Bott today.  He took care of my grandma Bacon when she had cancer and even remembered her name.  I was impressed by that.  He was extremely informative and I immediately felt comfortable with his direction of care for me.  Here is what we have learned today.

First of all, breast cancer is very common--1 in 7 or 8 women.  So it is very treatable but varies, of course.  Dr. Bott said I have probably had this cancer in me for 5-7 years, growing aggressively.  Shocking.  Ladies, be aware of your bodies and be proactive!  I did not feel a smidge of sickness to indicate that cancer was in there.  Cancer is tricky.  Luckily, I easily felt the lump.  We learned that about one million cancer cells can fit on the end of a pen tip.  The other end of the pen, the clicker part, is about the size a PET scan is able to detect.  Still, great but not 100%.  There could still be microscopic cancer cells lurking around.  Thus, the chemotherapy and radiation treatments are done to try and catch those naughty little buggers that may be lurking about.  Some more great news is that by proceeding with chemo/radiation, the recovery rate for me is 88%.  Yeah.  I plan on doing that.  You know... recovering.  We also learned that I am more susceptible to other cancers now, especially ovarian cancer since my cancer is an estrogen positive cancer which is not good since that is more aggressive but is good because it is more responsive to treatment.  The kicker here is that I could get breast cancer somewhere else in my body and it is still called breast cancer which I thought strange because that is why I had my double mastectomy--to eliminate that problem.  But if a little cancer cell guy slipped out before the surgery, well there you have it.  that is what happened to our Aunt Sue Dayton, bless her loving soul.  Love you A. Sue!  But, we will focus on the here and now.  We spoke briefly about a medication to take for 5 years to combat the estrogen dealio or talked about removing the ovaries after chemo/rad. are finished.  We are considering that option, though scary and weird and I now fear surgeries but it seems like the wisest choice for me.  I've got me these 6 fantastic children, what else do I need those little ovary suckers for?  Off with their heads I say!  Actually, I'm sad for that but we do what we gotta do.
So....Chemo treatment is set to begin in about two weeks, Sept. 30.  Happy Birthday to Charalece on that day and Brendon the next, Oct.1st!  We go in for the Port surgery the Fri. before (nervous, nervous).   Looks like I will have 8 chemo treatments every two weeks.  I should be done in 4 months--just into the Happy New yearish.  We then expect a month of recoup and then begin radiation which will go about every school day.  We expect to be finished in the Spring with the chemo/radiation route.
Side effects of chemo.  Apparently there are some great new drugs that have really advanced the side effects of chemo--especially the nausea.  They hit me with the chemo one day, about a two hour process, then I should feel OK that day and the next with the steroids still in me (there go my chances of making Olympic history with those strict steroid testing rules now), but the nausea and fatigue will hit about the third day for a bit until I gradually feel good again just in time for the next round.  Of course, that is a general and varies for each individual.  Many women go on about their lives just fine and dandy which I more than expect to do.  They say I will most likely react a lot like I did in first trimester pregnancy.  I can't complain about that.   Not too bad.  I can still boogie down easy. Again, lots of info and still unknown for my circumstances but it gave us some good indications of what to expect.  They used lots of fancy, smart medicine word names of the type of chemos and treatment I will receive.  I'm confident in the direction we are heading.  A bit overwhelming but I am ready to get this going.
So, we begin here soon.  We should have all this up and running and look to about a year to be done.  10 years cancer free is what we shoot for but it is something we'll have to monitor for the rest of my life.  And so, I became friends with Dr. Bott right away since we will be seeing each other quite often.  They called me "DeLayney" at first and asked if that was correct.  I said that is what all my good friends called me so...sure.  Dr. Bott is on the "DeLayney" name call basis.  My family mentioned to him that I am looking forward to auditioning for the role of Miss Hannigan in Annie at the Scera this coming spring and he said to go for it.  We got to talking about what shows I have been involved in.  Turns out he saw me play Mrs. Rosie Brice in Funny Girl this past summer and remembered me.  I thought it was a bonding moment for us.
Brendon feels much relief.  I could see the worry in his eyes as he drilled question after question.  He asks some good things.  I'm so grateful he has been by my side throughout this whole process.  I love him and could not be any more blessed.  And grateful my parents were there with us as well to educate themselves on my situation and offer support.  We had some incredible friends of Brendon make our day!  Thank you.  I needed that for him.  Thanks Matt & Amy for the visit and the scotcheroos.  Brendon needed that for him too.:)  Thank you to everyone for the dinners, treats, phone calls, emails, gifts, smiles, prayers, love and so much more.  We are so fortunate.  Good to have many questions answered and a game plan worked out.  Love you all.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear the good news. Your in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delaye, just so I'm not a "blog stalker." I'm just coming out and saying I found your blog on facebook. You have been in my thoughts and all of my prayers. And I AM going to send that note tomorrow. Keep up that positive thinking! You are my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DeLayne! I am Linda Shattuck, a neighbor from a few streets over. Looks like i'll be seeing you on the 30th. Dr. Bott is also my doctor and I'm on chemo #3 now. We have many common friends and I am looking forward to meeting you. YOu can do this! Take it from me! The Port surgery should be a snap compared to what you've been through. Hope to meet you in person soon! You're an inspiration to many! Even me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. D-Train! I'm praying for you. And you totally have to audition for Annie because I'm stage managing! I love that your oncologist saw you play Mrs. B. Much love to you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete