This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Saturday, September 11, 2010

MRI or die...which to choose?

Ahhhh....my MRI experience.  What to say?  I suppose I should start out by saying it was not THAT bad for what I am about to describe may lean towards the over-dramatic.  I am simply descriptive.  But me NO LIKEY my MRI experience.  Of course I would rather not die than have an MRI but during the  actual experience, the thought crosses the mind.  Brendon was as good as gold to go with me knowing he would be sitting in the waiting room the entire time.  He refuses to have me do any of this alone. I won't complain.  Not knowing what to expect with this I asked the lady before me how it was and she said to just keep my eyes closed, keep my ear plugs in and just breathe.  My mother had shared my dear, sweet grandma Bacon's MRI experience relaying her deep fear of enclosed areas.  She just prayed & pleaded through it all.  Well, knowing I can't go through any enclosed tubes at water parks without panicking, I knew this would not be so much fun.
They lead you into a sealed up room where I laid down flat on my stomach with holes cut out for my chest area and my head placed on a head rest like one may find when getting a massage.  Only apparantly a massage is not included.  I asked.  For the amount of money an MRI costs, it's the LEAST they could do--ease our anxiety after the fact with a good rub down.  I was told I should not move, that they would be able to comunicate with me and tell me how long each test would take, and I could squeeze something if I needed to get their attention.  I found myself contiually adjusting my pants, trying to get comfortable.  No way was I going to have a wedgy for a whole 30 min. test and not be able to do anything about it.  I was quite concerned for that.  I closed my eyes and could feel me slowly moving backward.  There was no mistaking the feeling of being completely enclosed about.  I hunkered down, beginning my deep breathing, trying to get to my "happy place."  After a while I noticed my face was quite squished in the head rest so I slowly began to inch my face back and forth to move it around, careful to not disturb moving my body.  I realized what a sight that must look.  Then came the itches.  Oh..they were all in my mind, I'm sure, but I had to concentrate hard on my breathing to distracting my mind & trick my body to will those itches away.  Then came the coughing spasm.  Having left my sunday school clas the previous day for coughing too much, I knew if I let loose with one cough, I was a goner and there was NO way I was starting that MRI over.  I prayed, and breathed through my nose, then my mouth, back and forth, forcing my thoughts away from coughing.  I thought of my wedding day, each of the births of my children, and finally rested on my role as Mrs. Brice this past summer on the Scera stage--going through all my lines, songs, and choreography.  Each time a test was to begin she would tell me the time it would take and I would start counting, knowing I could make it through 1 min. or 2 1/2 min.  etc.  But the NOISE!!  the noise, noise noise, noise (I sound like the Grinch).  Why I thought I could take a little nap during this scan is beyond me.  I thought I'd get a little vacation from my chidren with some peace and quiet. My children are meek as mice compared to the sounds blasting in my ears.  And I realized too...they forgot to give me some ear plugs like the lady before me told me to get!  Ahhh!  Those loud blasts caused my heart to jump almost every time and made it hard to stay in my happy place for long.  About 20 min. into the scan they injected this dye to further help with their analysis.  That meant only 10 min. left.  I thought I could do that but I was wrong.  Only seconds later I had HAD it.  I was done and I wanted OUT.  My chest and head hurt, I could almost no longer will my fears away and I was losing my mind.  I began to pray and breathe and pray and breathe more and more until it finally ended.  After coming out, I turned to see just how small that hole is I felt trapped in for those 30 min.  Oh the humanity.  Just glad I had not looked beforehand.  I joined Brendon.  He looked at me funny wondering what all the red marks were around my face.  I went home and cried and feel asleep, feeling quite woozy & yucky.  I was surprised how ill and lethargic I felt afterward.  I am proud of myself for getting through that with mere sheer will power but do hope not to have to repeat again someday.  Dramatic?  Yes, but actually going through it has brought on new found emotions never explored.  And now, it'll just be a memory to laugh about.  Let me know if you would like me to demonstrate the noise of the MRI in person.  It's a peach.  All in all, I am so happy to be alive and experiencing all sorts of new adventures that will make good stories someday.  Nervous to meet the surgeon tommorrow but ready to get on with the show here.

2 comments:

  1. Delayne- I'm not quite sure where you are at at this point. Just know that you are loved and prayed for all over the place! You have always made us smile - time for paybacks, huh?
    Hugs- Kristen P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Delayne, this is Brooke Holman/Stoddard in Idaho. My Dad called to inform myself and my family members of this experience you are going through. Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete