This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

PET Scan expeirence

Today was met with some anxiety but mostly excitement.  Today I had a PET scan done and met with my surgeon to remove the awful draining tubes coming from by body.  I was completely nervous for the scan not knowing what to expect after the dreadful MRI experience.  The PET scan is to help determine if possibly the cancer has traveled anywhere else in my body.   Had to drink 24 oz of water before 8 am and no food allowed since the night before.  That was a belly full of nothing.  They said I could bring music and a book while I waited but when I arrived they informed me that I could not have anything.  I panicked a bit.  They led me back to a room where they poke me twice before finally finding a big enough vein for the IV (my arm is already bruised like a druggie from previous pokes).  But they were sure nice.  The procedure guy was nice and we bonded.  After using the restroom (I was nervous) he led me to the trailer outside the hospital and sat me in a secluded, dark room where he gave me the radioactive injection and told me to drink this huge bottle of some stuff flavored with sprite then closed the door leaving me to drink with my thoughts for an hour while the stuff went through my body.  I sat there wondering if this is really my life.  All these strange procedures, going from doctors visit to visit.  I felt a little angry.  I shouldn't be there wasting that time when I could be home with my two little girls.  I should be home with them.  After the 5th cup of that stuff I was shivering uncontrollably.  Kevin checked on me and gave me some warm blankets and socks then closed the door again.  I tried to chug down another cup o the stuff but just COULD NOT DO IT.  There was still more left in the bottle too.  He came back in and I told him I couldn't drink another drop.  That turned out fine but I needed to use the restroom.  He asked if I could wait 15 min. which I thought I could.  Closed door.  After about 5 min. I heard him leave to go back inside the hospital when all of a sudden I had to go sooooo bad.  I could not hold it any longer.  I was a bustin'  Where was he?  I began to yell out, "is anyone there? I need to go!  Please can someone hear me PLEAASSSSE... I beg!"  I stood up, no good.  Sat on the edge of my chair, Oh mommy, really no good.  It was like some kind of prison water torcher.  I almost bolted.  Finally after pleading with the Lord (that sounds silly but I was desperate) he returned and I gently but quickly tiptoed to the bathroom which of course had to be the radio active bathroom down another long hallway all the way in the hosptal.  Ah...the sweet relief.  I asked Kevin if I was like a super hero with all the radioactive stuff in me.  He said only if I got bit by a spider.  Bummer.  Then back out to the trailer.  Sat in exclusion for a while longer where I chose to have a little chat with the Lord.  Expressed some feelings, excepting His will but adding some of my deepest feelings as well.  And then they were ready for the scan.  Of course, I asked to use the restroom one more time before the 30 min. scan (I would not have made it).  Back into the hospital and then to the trailer.  The scan began.  Cold room but covered with blankets.  The scan tube was not as small or long as the MRI and my whole body was never inside all at once.  They scan past up and down my body then focused on sections at a time.  Kevin talked me through it.  I almost fell asleep if it weren't for the fact that I had to concentrate on not moving.  No obnoxious loud noises like the MRI.  No crazy itchings.  It was decent and manageable.  Just pre-scan bad memories.  Hope to get the results in a day or two.   Let's just say that I stayed close to the restroom for the rest of this day.  Have not been feeling too thirsty yet.  Interesting new expereinces.  Yes, this is my life.  Luckily, I can laugh about it now looking back.  May you all appreciate your freedom to use the restroom at will.  I know I do.

Visited with our surgeon, Dr. Tittensor.  Recovery is progressing well.  She snipped my stitch and pulled out the long tubes that were draining junk out of me that I have been wearing since surgery day.  Oh that was such not a delight.  Thanks for letting me squeeze your hand, Brendon.  I do love that man.  Spoke a lot about where to go from here.  It looks like my tumor was a stage 3A and 7.1 cm.  That seems big.  Cancer found in 2 of the 8 lymph nodes.  That's not bad.  Margins of tumor are clean meaning they believe they got it all.  We spoke about a lot of things, causing me to feel a bit overwhelmed.  Lots to think about, and lots of uncertainties when it comes to cancer.  But we do feel that we are over one o the biggest parts of this journey--getting the cancer out.  I admit that I usually cry on appointment days.   I don't feel like giving up but I do feel overwhelmed and scared.  I know I should not doubt or fear.  I am trying.  I have my moments of weakness. Spent the rest of the day feeling a bit mellow and pensive.  We meet with the oncologist in one day to learn about our next step in beating this cancer..the chemo and full recovery.  So all in all, lots of progress today and I am happy to be free of the tubes.  Now I need to heal from the hole they left in me.  Ugh.  Lots of love

2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow....I feel stressed just reading about the scan. Glad you are done with that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. :( But your attitude and faith in the Lord is amazing DeLayne. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete