This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Monday, February 21, 2011

Setting up for Radiation

After a few weeks recovery from my very last chemo we are beginning the Radiation phase of this whole process.  I just noticed that I say "we" a lot.  I suppose this is all happening to just ME but it is a process that AL my family has gone through and been affected by so maybe that is fair to say.  Anyway, we had our first appointment with my oncology radiologist, Dr. Clark, who is incredible.  We spent quite a while discussing what to expect from radiation and it's purpose.  Basically, chemo targets the cells in my entire body through the chemotherapy drugs given intravenously through my port-o-cath, hoping to kill off any remaining cancer cells.  Radiation will now target only the area were the cancer was found, in my left breast area.  It is like getting an x-ray.  From what we understand Radiation will cause fatigue and sunburn to the area being radiated.  We learned a lot today and our doctor is so good to us.  Then they set me up.  This part of the appointment took just under an hour of me laying flat with my arms above my head so they could measure out the area that will be targeted.  It was fascinating to see the precision with which they use.  My body was contorted to lay just so.  Every millimeter mattered.  It was painful to lay with my arms up for so long in a funny position.  I finally had to ask if I could put them down but was denied or it changed the grid they were mapping out on me.  Again...fascinating.  I also received my first tattoos which are really only little freckle dots that mark the region.  But that hurt too.  A little ink on the spot and then a pin prick.  About 8 of those.  I'll never be a good tattoo candidate.  I'm a wuss.  I do hate all these doctors appointments.  There is such a vulnerability I feel when I experience a new test or process.  Still, I feel this is the right course for me and trust my doctors with my care.  Radiation starts in 2 days.  It is scheduled for every work day Monday-Friday for 6 weeks.  That is 28 times.  The actual radiation appointment should take only about 20 minutes.  Here we go with the next round of this cancer process.    

No comments:

Post a Comment