This is me starting a blog for the purpose of updating loved ones on my condition as I am currently going through the lovelies of breast cancer. I have found that talking with others and sharing my feelings through this experience has really helped me get some things "off my chest" as I literally get things off my chest. Hopefully it will be helpful, insightful, and maybe we'll get a little laugh. Thank you all for your prayers and love. I feel so very blessed. DeLayne

Sunday, December 26, 2010

5th Chemo--A real Merry Christmas



Thurs., Dec. 23 was the scheduled date for my 5th chemo.  We were not super excited about that knowing the beginning of the hard days would fall on Christmas.  Still, we are well aware that one "hard" Christmas of chemo will hopefully allow me many more wonderful Christmases in the future.  And so, we were well prepared mentally for the occasion.  We made sure presents were bought and wrapped beforehand.  In fact, my wonderful neighbors have come in each week to help clean my home, helping in that capacity, and one great friend, Tawnie, stayed behind to help wrap gifts with me.  What a wonderous act of kindness that was as I, in turn, was able to focus on doing activities with my kids and create some fun memories.  Brendon took Jaxson and Bridger down with him on Dec. 20 to help coach the Lone Peak basketball team in a tournament in St. George (they won).  They had a blast for 4 days.  I stayed behind for fun with our 4 girls. My in-laws took us out to dinner, on the 20th-- always a treat.  We celebrated Millie's 3rd birthday on the 21st (we celebrated Bridger's superhero 7th birthday on Dec. 16th).  We had just had a big snow storm so we went sledding all day for her birthday topping the day off with a birthday/Christmas celebration at our good neighbors, the Lindley's.  That was a fun day.  Dec. 22, the girls and I, along with two cousins, decided to go ice skating.  They all did great.  Millie used a little ice walker freeing me up to take video and pictures.  Finished the day off with a trip to BYU bookstore and dinner with Granna.  It was a busy and quite fulfilling few days.  I know I was packing in the activities knowing I would be out of commission for the next few days.  Well worth it.
     Chemo day came Dec. 23rd.  I was ready.  Brendon's mom, my daughters, Brinley and Bailey, and my sister, Brandalee all joined me in support for my 5th chemo session.  They hooked my port up and drew blood.  Soon after I met with Dr. Bott.  We talked about my health.  Turns out my body is NOT in  good shape to receive the chemo right now.  The concern is my platelet and red blood cell levels.  I learned a few things.  I've been so focused on the white blood cell levels (the affects on my immune system) that I didn't realize that chemo is really affecting my platelet levels, the bone marrow, which is what controls the clotting of my blood.  I am at 43 and the target level needs to be 130-440.  My red blood cell level is low as well.  Everything is low which is to be expected to a certain extent but if levels are too low, it can be dangerous to proceed.   It is a reminder how brutal chemo is on our body.  I tried to protest exclaiming that I feel just fine.  But Dr. Bott reminded me that I do not want to end up with spontaneous bleeding inside and land in the hospital.  I have to admit that I was bummed.  I was mentally prepared and all planned for the next week of yuckiness.  This now pushes everything back one week and I just want to be done.  But then I remembered what a Christmas miracle this is!  Now I was able to feel fantastic for Christmas which I am so grateful for.  It WAS hard to walk out of there with STILL 2 chemo treatments left  but it has been a wonderful time with my kids and husband and I don't take that for granted at all!  We had Christmas Eve with my in-laws and Christmas Day dinner with my parents.  My mother-in-law, Judi had someone make awesome pajamas with the breast cancer ribbon and hearts pattern for all the girls in the family,  So darling and thoughtful!  We love them!
     So now, chemo will be this week, Dec. 30 just in time for Jaxson's 14th birthday on Dec. 31. (yes, that is 3 of our children with December birthdays.  That's how we roll around here).   We will be welcoming a New Year full of hope, only 1 chemo left and so much gratitude for life!  Thank you to amazing family and well wishers at this Christmas season.  We are especially thankful to remember the birth of our Savior.  It has been a very Merry Christmas!!!
#5 "fake" treatment support group
Judi (mom-in-law), daughters Bailey & Brinley

sister, Brandalee at #5 fake chemo


Christmas FHE with Gpa and Gma Dayton

Millie's 3rd birthday

Sledding for Millies 3rd Birthday

Christmas story at the Lindley's

DeLayne and my girls in our new Christmas PJ's


Jaxson, Brinley, Bailey, Bridger, Olivia, Millie in 2010 Christmass PJ's


#5 real chemo treatment support group--My mom, Jaxson (my son), Tricia (my sister-in-law)
#5 real chemo treatment




After chemo treatment with sister, Lareen, her daughter, Bethany, and sis-in-law, Tricia

















6 comments:

  1. I love the PJs. Merry Christmas! I am going to miss seeing your daughter every sunday in primary. Boo Hoo. she made me laugh. You are always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had lots of fun Christmas memories! You are such a go-getter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Girl, you're rockin' it like a rock star. You know WHO is your "Rock" and you are His STAR shining brightly. I love you bunches. You are goin to have many more Christmases and BIRTHDAYS. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delayne, Thanks for the card. What a beautiful family you have. I too have so many fun and fond memories of our time in Mexico. I wish my kids could have some of the experiences that we had!

    Thats for sharing on what's been happening the last little bit. We hadn't hard. Cindy and I will be thinking and praying for you and your family.

    Love you guys!

    Terrell & Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just went back and read some of your past posts. You have such a positive and fun attitude. Especially loved post when you announced your breast cancer. Glad you are almost done with all of this.
    love
    Kristin howard

    ReplyDelete